Sorting by

×

Anger as video shows injured Palestinian tied to Israeli jeep

Footage of an injured Palestinian man strapped to a military jeep by Israeli soldiers during a raid in the occupied West Bank has drawn international outrage.

Mujahed Azmi, a resident of the city of Jenin, was seen tied to the bonnet of the vehicle as it passed two ambulances on Saturday, in video shared on social media and verified by Reuters.

Francesca Albanese, the United Nations’ special rapporteur to the occupied Palestinian territory, called the incident “human shielding in action”.

“It is flabbergasting how a state born 76 years ago has managed to turn international law literally on its head,” she wrote in a post on X.

Israel’s army said its forces were fired at, leading to an exchange of fire in which a suspect was wounded and arrested.

But it said soldiers had then violated military protocol. “The suspect was taken by the forces while tied on top of a vehicle,” the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said in a statement.

The military said the “conduct of the forces in the video of the incident does not conform to the values” of the IDF and that the incident would be investigated and dealt with.

The individual was transferred to medics for treatment, the military said.

Health workers confirmed that Mr Azmi was released and paramedics took him to hospital where he was taken to the operating theatre, Al Jazeera reported.

Mr Azmi’s family said he was injured during a raid, and when his relatives requested an ambulance, the army took him, strapped him on the bonnet and drove off.

Violence in the West Bank, already on the rise before the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza, has escalated since then with frequent army raids on militant groups, rampages by Jewish settlers in Palestinian villages, and deadly Palestinian street attacks.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (Cair), the United States’ largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organisation, also condemned the incident.

Cair national communications director Ibrahim Hooper said: “These Israeli-US massacres and war crimes must be stopped. American taxpayer dollars should not be used to kill, maim and starve innocent civilians. The Biden administration must end its complicity in this genocide and begin to recognise the humanity of the Palestinian people.”

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant headed to Washington on Sunday to discuss the next phase of the Gaza war and escalating hostilities on the border with Lebanon

Israel on Saturday killed at least 42 people in attacks on and around Gaza City in the north of the enclave, the Hamas-run government media office said.

With agencies



Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button