Prince William has apologised to the Lionesses for not attending the Women’s World Cup final in Australia on Sunday.
In a video message posted on social media, the Prince of Wales, who is president of the Football Association, told the England team, who face Spain in Sydney: “We’re sorry we can’t be there in person”.
Sitting alongside his daughter Charlotte, Prince William, said he was proud of what the team had achieved and wished them “good luck”.
“Lionesses I want to send you a huge good luck for tomorrow, we’re sorry we can’t be there in person but we’re so proud of everything you’ve achieved and the millions you’ve inspired here and around the world,” he wrote.
“So go out there tomorrow and really enjoy yourselves.”
Clutching a football Princess Charlotte added: “Good luck Lionesses.”
While the prince has decided to watch the game from home, Queen Letizia of Spain is set to travel to Australia for the final.
She will take her 16-year-old daughter Ifanta Sofia to show the country’s “commitment” to national football.
The Royal Spanish Football Federation made the announcement on Thursday, the day after England beat the Matildas 3-1.
It is understood William made the decision not to travel to the Lionesses’ final because a trip to Australia would involve flying across the world for a very short period of time, and there were other ways he could show support for the team.
The prince has made tackling climate change one of his priorities, launching the Earthshot Prize to find solutions to repair and regenerate the earth.
He saw the Lionesses win the European Championship last year, presenting them with their medals at Wembley.
After the Lionesses’ semi-final victory on Wednesday, both the King and the Prince of Wales congratulated the team on their win.
William celebrated England’s “phenomenal performance” as he tweeted a personal message of congratulations.
The King also sent his “warmest congratulations” from all the royal family, hailing the “mighty Lionesses” as an “inspiration on and off the pitch”.
Sports broadcaster Gabby Logan has said she is “disappointed” that William and Rishi Sunak, would not be attending the final.
She told BBC’s Newscast: “I have to say I’m disappointed that Prince William isn’t going with his role at the FA and the history that is going to happen and be created on Sunday, one way or the other.
“I just wonder would neither of those people come to a men’s World Cup final, would Britain not be represented by at least one of those two figures at a men’s World Cup and I can’t help thinking that they would be there.
“I don’t know what prior engagements that can’t be moved or if there’s something that’s enormously important that is getting in the way of this, but it does feel like we should have somebody of national (importance).”
Additional reporting by Press Association