Former police officer among four men arrested in child sexual exploitation investigation
A former police officer and three other men have been arrested in connection with the sexual exploitation of young girls in Bury between 2006 and 2009.
In a statement, released on Thursday, Greater Manchester Police said the arrests were made today and yesterday during a series of warrants at properties in the Elton, Moorside and Eastern areas of Bury. The four suspects ranged in age from 36 to 44.
The 44-year-old was a police officer who served in the force until 2011.
Detective Chief Inspector Dave Jones said it was “extremely concerning” that one of the suspects had been a former police officer.
“It is obviously extremely concerning that one of the suspects is a former police officer, who was employed by GMP until 2011.
“The Professional Standards Branch is supporting the investigation team and ensuring the correct processes and procedures are followed.”
Two men, aged 35 and 41, have previously been arrested in connection with the investigation and are currently on bail pending further investigations.
Bury District Commander, Chief Superintendent Chris Hill, urged victims and anybody who knew more about the case to come forward.
“What follows these arrests is a lengthy investigation to ensure that all involved are identified and that evidence of criminality is referred to the Crown Prosecution Service.
“Our message is clear – if you believe that you are the victim of child sexual exploitation or have something to tell us which relates to this investigation, please report it.”