Sorting by

×

Jay Slater’s mother releases new statement after search for missing teenager ends | UK News

The mother of missing Jay Slater says “words cannot describe the pain and agony” she and her family are feeling about the teenager’s disappearance.

The 19-year-old, from Oswaldtwistle in Lancashire, was last seen on 17 June after setting off to walk back to his accommodation while on holiday in Tenerife.

Despite an extensive search of the area by police and rescue teams over the last two weeks, he has not been found.

In a statement issued through the British overseas missing persons charity LBT Global, the teenager’s mother Debbie Duncan said the family were “absolutely devastated” by his disappearance.

“Jay is a normal guy who is in his third year of an apprenticeship, and he is a very popular young man with a large circle of friends,” she said.

“We are a very close family and are absolutely devastated about his disappearance.

“Words cannot describe the pain and agony we are experiencing. He is our beautiful boy with his whole life ahead of him and we just want to find him.

“We do not have any information on his whereabouts.”

Read more:
Five key questions over Jay Slater’s disappearance

Jay Slater. Pic: LBT Global/Slater family
Image:
Jay Slater. Pic: LBT Global/Slater family

Helicopters, drones, and search dogs were deployed to find the apprentice bricklayer, who arrived on the island on 13 June for the NRG music festival with two friends.

His last known location was the Rural de Teno Park in the north of the Canary Island – about an 11-hour walk from his accommodation in the south.

He had travelled to an Airbnb in the village of Masca and the two men said to have rented the property were later ruled “not relevant” to the case

Ms Duncan praised the Spanish police, who she said had “worked tirelessly up in the mountains where Jay’s last phone call was traced”.

“They [police] conducted a land search for 12 days which involved every resource they had available,” Ms Duncan added.

Cactus on the slopes of a steep valley
Image:
A valley covered in part of the search

“Although the land search ended, the Spanish police still continue with their investigations into why Jay had travelled to the location so far away from his accommodation.

“We offer our sincere thanks to the Spanish authorities, who continue to follow lines of inquiries.”

On Friday, the Guardia Civil appealed for experts in rugged terrain to assist in a “massive search” on Saturday.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

The search in and around Masca took in a steep rocky area, including ravines, trails and paths.

On Saturday, the Civil Guard confirmed that search efforts in the area had been called off after nearly two weeks – though detectives continue to pursue several lines of inquiry.

Read more:
Investigation into disappearance continues, insists mayor
British police react as search in Tenerife is called off

As the family continues to hope for a breakthrough in investigations, Ms Duncan asked the media to respect their privacy and said they are aware of conspiracy theories surrounding the case.

She said she could only describe the speculation as “vile”, adding the “negative comments are extremely distressing” to the family.

“We also embrace the love and support we have received from across the globe,” she added.

“It has not gone unnoticed, especially his home town in Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire. As a family we would like the world to respect our privacy at this present time.”

Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button