Sorting by

×

UN’s top court orders Israel to halt Rafah offensive, citing ‘immense risk’

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ordered Israel to halt its military operations in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, citing “immense risk” to the Palestinian population.

The president of the court, Judge Nawaf Salam, said on Friday that provisional measures ordered by the ICJ in March did not fully address the situation in the besieged Palestinian enclave, and that conditions had been met for a new emergency order.

He added that the Israeli evacuation orders in the area were not “sufficient to alleviate the immense risk to which the Palestinian population is exposed as a result of the military operation in Rafah”.

“Israel must immediately halt its military offensive,” Judge Salam said.

The court backed South Africa’s request to order a halt to Israel’s Rafah offensive in Gaza, after the nation formally accused Israel of committing genocide against Palestinians.

Israel insists it has the right to defend itself from Hamas militants and is unlikely to comply with the ruling.

This story is being updated

Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button